The benefits of a consistent Tai Chi practice are many and varied. These benefits fall into the categories of physical benefits, emotional benefits, and spiritual benefits.
Among the physical benefits we have:
- The release of physical tension.
- Greater balance.
- Greater flexibility and range of motion.
- Increased leg strength.
- An increase in one’s ability to defend oneself from a physical attack due to Tai Chi’s inherent martial movements.
- An increase in immune function, perhaps due to the movement of the lymph, the movement of the cerebrospinal fluid, and the lowering of stress.
- Lowering of blood pressure.
The emotional benefits include:
- The lowering or obliteration of the feeling of stress.
- An increase in serotonin levels and thus an increase in a feeling of euphoria and happiness
- Greater focus (This may be more of a Mental Benefit)
- An increase in feelings of compassion to others and oneself.
- A greater sense of calm
- An increase in one’s empathy and sensitivity to shifts in the physical environment (including others), emotional environment (others and oneself)
- A feeling of Inner Peace
The spiritual benefits are as follows (there may be some overlap with the emotional benefits)
- A feeling of bliss
- Greater sensitivity
- Inner Peace
- Increased Empathy
- Increased Sensitivity and Discernment
- Psychic phenomena (???)